Symbol of progress and modernity
Today, "Puy Marmont" is the name of the Pompadour equestrian stadium, with competitions from march to november, alongside official horse shows, from amateur to international levels.
Five grandstands allow the public to view these competitions in the best conditions. The site is laid out for ease of movement for both crowds and competitors.
Originally a military institution, the National Stud is today managed by the Ministries of Agriculture and Sports.
The garden and the stallion stables
The stud was created by the military architect Colbert in 1665. Originally used for military breeding, it was later used to regenerate livestock killed during the wars, avoiding the importation of foreign horses. It then became a central beacon of reference for the horse industry.
In Pompadour, the Puy Marmont site, covering one and a half hectares originally, was once part of the vegetable garden of the castle.
In 1876, Henri Donnet de Fontrobert, director of the National Stud, commissioned Auguste Laffolye, architect of the Palais de Compiègne, to build two new stallion stables, one for blood horses and one for draft horses.
The two stables are built on each side of the central pavilion, in a U shape, all organized around the "Cour d'Honneur" with architecture in the military style, with no superfluous decoration.
The majesty of this site resides in the sandy pathway, lined with elegant chestnut trees, which leads to these buildings. The splendour is underlined by the wrought iron entrance gate proudly standing between two noble round towers.