Classified as a historical monument in 1846
After having founded the first castle of Pompadour, Guy de Lastours rebuilt the church of Arnac at the beginning of the 11th century. He transferred the relics of Saint-Pardoux to the church and then established a priory, which he entrusted to the abbey of Saint-Martial in Limoges. In the 15th century, Geoffroy de Pompadour carried out some major modifications on the castle and the church, where he rebuilt the vaults.
The building has a nave with three adjoining radiating chapels, a transept with apsidioles and a large single nave with three spans. The choir, the crossing of the transept and the nave are vaulted with ogives.
The walls of the nave built in the 11th century were designed to carry a wooden roof and not a stone vault. This explains why the vaults of the 12th and 13th centuries collapsed and those of the 15th century had to be largely restored in the 19th century. From the choir the separation of the walls due to the pressure of the vaults can be clearly seen.
The interior of the church has interesting carved Romanesque decorations. The capitols of the lower part of the apse date from the early 12th century, those of the upper parts of the nave and choir are from the mid-12th century (the sculptures are comparable to those of Vigeois and Lubersac). The western portal testifies to a major renovation carried out in the early 13th century, with statues of Saint-Martial, the Virgin and Child and Saint-Pardoux.
In the 19th century, further major restoration saw the roofs, arches and bell tower renovated. More recently, the choir required repairs to the plasterwork.
The church also houses various objects classified as as historical monuments. These include a statue of Saint-Martial from the 16th century, a reliquary containing remains of Saint-Pardoux and Saint-Martial installed in the 18th century. The painting "La vierge sortant du tombeau" painted in the 19th century hangs on the wall.